The City of Silvis is an Equal Opportunity Employer
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Library Clerk/Children’s Coordinator
FT/PT: Part Time
Hours: 28 scheduled hours per week. Some weekend or evening hours.
Salary: $13.00 - $15.00/hr dependent upon qualifications
Position Description: Day hours with some weekend or evening hours. This position is responsible for the development, planning, and presentation of story times and programming for children; coordinating both the winter and summer reading programs; creating outreach opportunities in local schools and daycares, selecting and maintaining the children’s collection; and, assisting in the pre-processing of library materials. Applicant must be energetic, creative, and self-motivated. Excellent organizational skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office, and the ability to handle multiple tasks effectively are also necessary. Must be able to flex schedule to meet job responsibilities. Event planning and customer service experience, in a library setting, preferred. $13.00-$15.00 per hour, dependent upon qualifications. IMRF position. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit cover letter and resume via email by Midnight, November 12th to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.
For complete job description, visit the Silvis Public Library’s website at www.silvislibrary.org.
Library Clerk – Children’s Coordinator
Job Summary - Maintain the children’s collection using selection and collection development procedures; plan, prepare, and present regular story times and programming for children; coordinate the summer reading program; and, create outreach opportunities in local schools and daycares.
Reports to: Director, Assistant Director
Principle Responsibilities and Duties
- Participate in all responsibilities associated with the Library Clerk position.
- Select and pre-process all new print material for the children’s collection including Board Books, Easy Picture Books, Easy Readers (chapter books), Juvenile Fiction, Juvenile Nonfiction and Spanish books with in the budget.
- Prepare, plan, schedule and present, if needed, events for participating children including Thursday night Story times, Make ‘n’ Take Crafts on Saturdays, and other special programs.
- Plan the Summer Reading Program and coordinate with other staff as necessary, soliciting prizes and coordinating appropriate programs.
- Work with the support of the Communications Coordinator to publicize all children’s events.
- Decorate and prepare display cabinet in a timely manner to promote children’s programming.
- Create and maintain good working relationships with the schools served by the Library.
- Coordinate library presence in community events – Halloween Trunk ‘n’ Treat (Library sponsored), Moonlight Parade, Christmas in Silvis – with Library Clerk-Young Adult Coordinator, Library Clerk-Adult Programming Coordinator, Library Director and/or Friends group.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with children and an understanding of their interests and capabilities
- Imaginative, creative, energetic, and self-motivated
- Ability to work independently, possess good planning skills
- Be familiar with library resources for youth
- Knowledge of basic computer operations and Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to learn automated circulation system
- Knowledge of eBook readers
- Basic research skills, ability to navigate and search the internet
- Understanding of library shelving system, Dewey Decimal System
- Ability to lift 20 pounds, push a cart of books, bend and stoop
- Good communication skills, ability to answer questions effectively
- Ability to remain calm in difficult situations
- Ability to use general office equipment
- Child development classes and/or experience working with children in child care or education
- Some clerical work experience, use of computers
- Customer service experience, preferably in a library setting
Bilingual English / Spanish preferred.